Thursday, August 1, 2013

Hi, my name is ... and I'm a diabetic.

I am a diabetic.

There was a time when I wouldn't say that word out loud. I was afraid to admit it, and I was ashamed, and afraid of what it meant for me.

In Spring 2010, I became a statistic.

25.8 million children and adults in the United States—8.3% of the population—have diabetes.

There were 1.9 million new cases of diabetes are diagnosed in people aged 20 years and older in 2010.

12.6 million, or 10.8% of all women aged 20 years or older have diabetes.

I am an American female, now 28 years old, overweight, and diabetic.

And I feel like I have no control over my own life.




I am starting this blog to begin to chronicle a little bit of what I'm going through, in the hopes that maybe someone, somewhere, somehow will find this page and it will not only help myself but help them as well.

Diabetes will not become my death sentence. I refuse it.

No comments:

Post a Comment