Monday, December 30, 2013

New Year, New Goals, New Me!

The time has come. I've officially become the owner and recipient of Insulin shots. I'm very surprised to see how easy this will be. One is only at night, once, and 10 units. The other is 15 minutes before I eat, 5 units. Pretty simple, if you ask me. Although the cost was anything but simple. I couldn't believe how much it was! $110 for the pens and needles, and this is only a one month supply!!! I've pretty much determined that there will never be a "cure" for diabetes, because too many health facilities and drug companies make their money off of it. It'll never "go away" because of that. . .

In other news, I'm the proud new owner of a fitbit flex, that I had gotten for Christmas. Can I just say that I ABSOLUTELY love it!!! It tracks movement and sleep patterns, and is helpful in seeing your activity levels. There are group forums that you can chat with others on, add others as friends, etc. For example, here are my activity levels since Christmas:
What this shows you is how many steps I've taken each day, and it calculates that I've walked 8.77 miles in that time. Pretty neat :) The fitbit then syncs with MyFitnessPal, which is an app that I absolutely love, and helps me track calories in (with foods that I log), and calories out (with the FitBit tracker). It does take into account my MBR (You still burn calories even if you are sedentary or sleeping. We estimate your calorie burn based on your age, gender, height, and weight.) So, instead of getting "free" calories burnt, it accounts for, "Hey, you'd probably burn this much just to stay alive, so you're not really doing anything 'extra' right now." I think it's great because it makes me more accountable, and makes me really have to work for it, haha. I've gotten to the point now where if I know I'm under my steps count, I find excuses to get up and start moving. Last night, I went onto the treadmill for 10 minutes just to get in a few extra steps. One of my favorite windows, however, shows you how many calories in and how many you've burned for each day:
 
The lighter green is the amount of calories I've burned and the darker green is the amount of calories I've taken in. . . Basically, it's showing you that I've been burning like crazy, but have to work a little harder today :)
 
There are lots of new changes, but that's okay- this is a new year, a new me :)
 


No comments:

Post a Comment