- 25.8 million Americans, 8.3% of the population, have diabetes
- 18.8 million Americans have diagnosed diabetes
- 7.0 million Americans have undiagnosed diabetes (27% of diabetes is undiagnosed)
- 1.9 million Americans aged 20 years or older are newly diagnosed with diabetes each year(5,205/day)
- Age 20 years or older: 25.6 million, or 11.3% of all people in this age group, have diabetes
- Age 65 years or older: 10.9 million, or 26.9% of all people in this age group, have diabetes
- All stats are compliments of : http://professional.diabetes.org
When I was diagnosed as a diabetic, I was told, "You need to watch what you eat and you need to lose weight. Here's your meds. We'll revisit and will see if we need to change your diagnosis." My doctor at the time was also treating my mom, and assumed she would educate me. Unfortunately, my mom does not take care of herself, either, and is stuck in a pattern of bad habits. I was stuck in it too, until I moved out, at which point I still had no idea what I was truly doing or supposed to do. I did see a dietician, and she did tell me a few small new things, but nothing I didn't already know- I'm a pretty healthy eater- I LOVE fruits and veggies.
Fast forward about 3 years later, and now I'm placed on insulin. I was told, "You'll dial up 5 units before you eat, and then 10 units at bedtime. . . It's like the Byetta or Victoza pen that you had used previously." and that was it. Armed with 2 new prescriptions, blurred vision (I was crying), and no clue what was coming my way, I was sent off on my own.
I'm figuring it out. I have an appointment with an endocrinologist next week, but I'm scared and not really sure what to expect once I get there. I'm overwhelmed, and still have a lot of questions that pop up. . .
What if I don't take my shot before I eat- can I take it during? after?
What if I forget a shot, should I double up later?
How long between my dinner shot and sleep shot should there be?
What if I'm up until really really late - should I take it at a "normal" sleep time or before I sleep?
So many questions!
The more people that I talk to, the more I see this is a HUGE problem. There NEEDS to be better diabetes education AT the time of diagnosis. Not a month, two months, six months, three years later!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment