Tuesday, January 28, 2014

So Many Things.

I met with a new Endocrinologist last weekend. I'll be seeing both him and his nurse prac. when I visit. I really liked them both. They were realistic, very open and honest, but also have real expectations. I told them some of the changes I've been making and they were both very pleased because it shows that I'm trying to do things differently. I told them that I've seriously cut down carbs, I'm drinking more water and a LOT less soda (although I still have the occasional), that I'm monitoring my foods, testing my sugars a lot more, and am overall just trying to be healthier. I admitted that I could kick exercise up a notch, but wanted to focus on food first before throwing in too much into the system. They both agreed that one thing at a time is good enough, and even went so far as to break it down one thing at a time. "This week, I will remove all sodas from my diet." "This week, I will maintain a steady ____ carbs per day." etc. to help not feel overwhelmed. I like that they were real with me.  I then went for an updated bloodwork test, and got my results within two days! Here's what they sent back:















1. Hemoglobin AIC Results:We would like to see this test of long term sugar control (gives us an idea of the average blood sugar level over the past roughly two months) running less than 7% .

HEMOGLOBIN, A1C(%)
Coll Dt/Tm Resulted Value Status
-----------------------------------------------
1/23/14 3:49P 1/24/14 7.3* FINAL 

Note: The last test I had, my A1C was at a 10!!!! This is a MAJOR win!!!

2. These normal results tells us that there is no evidence of Diabetic kidney disease.

MICROALBUMIN RATIO(mg/g creat)
Coll Dt/Tm Resulted Value Status
-----------------------------------------------
1/23/14 3:49P 1/24/14 <4 FINAL

CREATININE(mg/dL)
Coll Dt/Tm Resulted Value Status
-----------------------------------------------
1/23/14 3:49P 1/23/14 0.9 FINAL

GFR ESTIMATED(mL/min)
Coll Dt/Tm Resulted Value Status
-----------------------------------------------
1/23/14 3:49P 1/23/14 >60.0 FINAL


3. The LDL cholesterol is too high for someone with Diabetes. Since people with Diabetes are at significantly higher risk of developing heart disease compared to other people, we like to try to keep the LDL level at least less than 100. We can either add simvastatin 20 mg daily or continue to make diet changes and recheck your lipid panel in 3 months. Let me know your choice. Eat more vegetables, fruits and whole grains, fish and skinless chicken. Avoid fatty meats, fried food, whole milk, cheese and butter. Bake, boil, or broil / No frying.

LDL (DIRECT MEASURE)(mg/dL)
Coll Dt/Tm Resulted Value Status
-----------------------------------------------
1/23/14 3:49P 1/23/14 117 FINAL

There was a time when my LDL levels were near a 200 or higher (I don't remember exact numbers, just that my doctor about shit his pants!)  Seeing that I'm 17 points away from what they'd LIKE to see, I'm ecstatic! Diet and further exercise all the way! My endo is giving me the freedom to wait until my next appointment to see if this number changes at all.

4. TSH Results:Normal thyroid test.

TSH(uIU/mL)
Coll Dt/Tm Resulted Value Status
-----------------------------------------------
1/23/14 3:49P 1/23/14 1.99 FINAL

I am beyond surprised by this one, but the next test was interesting and gave me a little bit of insight:

5.
Your vitamin D level is not optimal at 10.1 ng/mL. Optimum 25-OH Vitamin D levels are > 32 ng/ml. I would like to treat you with a prescription strength of vitamin D. You will take 1 tablet 3 x a week for 4 weeks and then get a repeat lab in 5 weeks, which is ordered. Rx sent to your pharmacy.

25OH VITAMIN D TOTAL(ng/mL)
Coll Dt/Tm Resulted Value Status
-----------------------------------------------
1/23/14 3:49P 1/23/14 10.1* FINAL

Woah! Holy batman my vitamin D is Lowwwww!


So there's that update.

Then, today, I met with a Diabetes Educator today who was very pleased with my changes and progress with my diabetes. We went over carbs, different foods and the carb servings, changing up some of my snacks throughout the day, etc. etc. etc. She even went over reading food labels, which is something that I haven't 100% been properly trained to do yet.

I left her office with my head swimming. Numbers bouncing around, eat this, not that, don't even touch this, but you can have a half cup of that, 15 carbs per meal, means you can have some of this, monitor this though, round and round and round it goes.

I don't know why, but now I'm just in a funk. I'm upset, and angry, and feeling very depressed. I feel like this is never going to end and I'm so frustrated and just want to scream, "Why ME?!" People who are not diabetic don't get it. They don't get how truly difficult it is to live with and how much goes into it. I'm so tired of medications and new meds and new doctors and being told what I can and can't do when the rest of the world can just la-di-da and do whatever the hell they please.


I just keep wondering, "Does this ever end?!"



No comments:

Post a Comment